Questions and Answers
Q: What is my user name and password on the server?
A: If you choose the "Express Install" method, the ObjectPrint administrator login is your login name and the password is blank.
Q: How do I stop or pause the control of printers?
A: ObjectPrint runs as a Windows service when installed on Windows
and can be stopped paused using the Services control panel:
• Navigate to Service within your Control Panel -> Administrative Tools.
• Find the service named ObjectPrint and right-click on it.
• Select the operation you want to perform (e.g., Stop/Start/Restart).
Q: Does ObjectPrint manage networked printers?
A: ObjectPrint is designed to manage print jobs from workstations that are spooled to a Windows server or workstation. These printers are shared and connected via a USB or LPT cable to the print server or workstation. You can also effectively monitor a printer’s usage in a network. It may be that you have networked printers directly connected via an Ethernet cable. ObjectPrint can only monitor a networked printer’s usage. ObjectPrint scans the network using the SNMP protocol for the networked printers and checks a print counter. SNMP does not save information about printing (user, color, page size, etc.).
Q: When first starting ObjectPrint, there is no login information anywhere. The Windows clients are open and anybody can access them - how do I identify the teacher who wants to use the printer?
A: You need to enable ObjectPrint users.
Launch the ObjectPrint Web Console (Programs->ObjectPrint) or enter https://server:1562/ in your web browser. Find your name on the Users page. Change your access type to Administrator and enter a new password. Go to the Settings page. Select the General tab and enable checkboxes: "Enable login password protection", "Enable ObjectPrint Web Panel for Clients", "Enable ObjectPrint Desktop software for Clients". Reload the page and enter your login name and password. Other users will have limited rights.
Q: How do I control the client print out in the client machine with password protection?
A: 1. Save your administrator’s name and password. If you choose the "Express Install" method, the ObjectPrint administrator password is blank.
2. Type http://server:1561/ in your browser and go to Settings page.
3. Select the General tab.
4. Enable login password protection (uncheck Control) .
5. Reload the page http://server:1561/ and enter your Windows login and password.
You can also use https://server:1562/ if you have enabled the HTTPS feature.
Q: Is ObjectPrint integrated with the AD domain so we can use existing users?
A: To import users to the Active Directory with ObjectPrint:
1. Use the First Time Configuration Wizard. When the ObjectPrint Explorer starts for the first time, the Configuration Wizard will offer to configure the main settings of groups, users, printers and computers. Users will be automatically added later with the default settings.
2. Users can also be added via the menu of the ObjectPrint program (Explore->Users...).
Q: How do I start controlling a second print server with ObjectPrint?
A: First of all, launch the ObjectPrint Web Console (Programs->ObjectPrint) or enter https://server:1562/ into your web browser. Find your name on the Users page. Change your access type to Administrator and enter a new password. Go to the Settings page. Select the General tab and enable the checkbox "Enable login password protection". Reload the page and enter your login name and password. Download (http://www.fitosoft.com/downloads) and install the ObjectPrint Connector to the second print server. When installing, enter you login and password to register the second print server.
Q: How do I backup ObjectPrint data (local storage)?
A: To backup the whole content of the ObjectPrint data files:
• Do not change the name of a computer.
• Save C:\Program Files\Fitosoft\ObjectPrint4\Log\objectprint4.s3db (database file).
• Save the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Fitosoft\ObjectPrint4 registry key.
To export a registry key to a hive file:
1. Open Registry Editor.
2. Select the key that you want to save as a file.
3. On the File menu, click Export.
4. In the Export Registry File dialog box, in Save In, click the drive, folder or network computer where you want to save the hive file.
5. In Filename, enter a name for the hive (ObjectPrint4).
6. In Save As Type, click Registry Hive Files.
7. Click Save.
Q: Which port number does ObjectPrint use?
A: It uses TCP ports 1561 - 1564. These ports must be accessible from the Internet on the machine running ObjectPrint or the ObjectPrint Connector. ObjectPrint Clients can also connect to the ObjectPrint Server using safe https://server:1562/ or unsafe http://server:1561/ connections. 1563 and 1564 TCP ports are used by ObjectPrint Desktop Clients.
Q: How do I manually uninstall ObjectPrint?
A: 1. Open the Services (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services) and highlight ObjectPrint Services, if it exists. Click on properties and choose disable from the start type.
2. Reboot your computer.
3. In Windows Explorer, remove the ObjectPrint Folder - C:\Program Files\Fitosoft\ObjectPrint4, if it exists.
4. Click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type regedit, then click OK. In Registry Editor, remove the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Fitosoft\ObjectPrint4 subkey, if it exists.
Q: A plain text print job from Notepad is being logged as colored. I also tried to change the printer preferences to gray scale but with no effect.
A: Your printer driver reports color prints but prints b/w pages. It seems that this is a feature of the printer driver. You can adjust your cost of printing by specifying one price for color and b/w printing.
Q: We have about 60 computers, seven network printers and about 20 local printers. For best results would I install the print server on all computers?
A: You need to install ObjectPrint on any computer in your local network. It is very important to install ObjectPrint Connector (for print controlling) on each print server/workstation with local printers.
Q: How do I reset my ObjectPrint password?
A: The reset password utility allows you to reset forgotten or lost passwords in ObjectPrint.
-l List of all users with access permissions
-u <user> Username for the password you are changing
-p <password> User’s new password
ResetPassword -u Administrator -p 123456
Get ObjectPrint reset password utility
Q: SNMP supply levels and states were wrong for some network printers.
A: You should collect an SNMP log of the problem printers on the network. Extracting SNMP record files from a physical device can be done using the
snmpwalk command. Therefore,
in order to extract SNMP record files from an existing device, the SNMP tools allowing for the execution of the
snmpwalk command should be installed, e.g., NET-SNMP.
NET-SNMP can be downloaded for free from:
1. Open the Command Line and go to the NET-SNMP installation directory (e.g.,
2. If running on Linux, open the terminal window (shell).
3. If running on Windows, open the Command Line and go to the NET-SNMP installation directory (e.g.
4. In order to prepare SNMP record file reflecting the actual SNMP agent available at given IP address, use
the SNMP tools and issue the following command:
snmpwalk -On -Oe -OU -v2c -c public address > [destination folder]\filename.txt
snmpwalk -On -Oe -OU -v2c -c public 192.168.100.8 > C:\"Program Files"\Fitosoft\ObjectPrint4\printer.txt
printer.txt file containing OIDs of the real device will be stored in the directory.
printer.txt file to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: A network printer is not showing up on ObjectPrint Control Panel and after entering the IP address.
A: You need to setup Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) for network printers. ObjectPrint scans the network printers using the SNMP protocol.
Q: Is there a silent installation mode for ObjectPrint Connector?
A: ObjectPrint uses Nullsoft Installer Script (NSI). NSI installer has a number of features not present in Windows Installer. But MSI format allows installing software both interactively and in automated silent mode.
You can run a silent installation by invoking ObjectPrint Connector installer with a command line option.
To do that, use the
/S switch as in the following example:
ObjectPrintConnector41x64.exe /S /notavail=1 /host=server /admin=admin /pass=123 /log=c:\log.txt /pjl=1
The following details the parameters and their behaviors.
Address of the ObjectPrint Server. ObjectPrint Connector uses TCP ports 1561, 1562 and 1563. These ports must be accessible from the Internet on the machine running ObjectPrint Connector.
ObjectPrint administrator's name.
ObjectPrint administrator's password.
Allow/Reject printing of unprocessed print jobs when ObjectPrint Server is unavailable.
If the ObjectPrint Service is not enabled or unavailable for some other reason, you can choose to let all unprocessed print jobs go through it. An undesirable print job will be delivered to prints. If the setting is rejected, no print job will be delivered until the ObjectPrint Service is re-enabled.
1 - Allow printing (default)
0 - Reject printing
Enable/Disable permanent printer's status monitoring via PJL.
1 - Enable (default)
0 - Disable
/log=<file name and path>
ObjectPrint Connector installes's log file name and location.
If you have any questions, please send an email to email@example.com.